- Shut off the water at the main shutoff valve and open the faucet nearest to the frozen pipe so it can drain as it thaws.
- Waterproof the area with containers and plastic drop clothes in case leaks occur.
- Use one of the following methods to gradually warm the frozen pipe. Be sure to work from the faucet toward the iced-up area.
- Propane Torch With a flame-spreading-nozzle, the torch will quickly thaw a frozen pipe.
- Safety Tip Shield flammable areas with a fireproof sheet, don’t let the pipe get too hot to touch.
- Hair Dryer Used like the torch, a dryer will gently defrost the pipe.
- Heating Pad Wrap a length of pipe with a heating pad.
- Heat Lamp For pipes behind walls, floors, or ceilings, beam a heat lamp 8 or more inches from the surface.
- Hot Water If no other method is available, wrap the pipe (except plastic) in rags and pour boiling water on it.
Are you looking for someone to take care of your plumbing in Little Rock, Arkansas? Our company deals with plumbing repair, plumbing emergencies, and a wide variety of other plumbing issues. So, the next time you need any sort of repair, from water pipe repair to hot water heater replacement, give us a call and we’ll help you out.